
Farmers' markets - they just seem to be everywhere these days. Saturday mornings that were normally used for sleeping in (or recovering from Friday night) can now be spent hitting the trail in search of fresh local produce and other culinary treasures (cute carry bag optional).
Normally I wouldn't be pounding the market pavements purely because I don't do early mornings well. I'm actually quite terrifying if I have to wake up early (and equally frightening to look at), but nevertheless, the opportunity to join a couple of foodie friends for a day out at Eveleigh Farmers' Markets was too good to pass up.

Made even more enticing, as the 'angel of biscotti' at The Biscuit Tree was going to be on hand to replenish my empty biscuit stockpiles. You just know you need a biscotti top up if you’ve threatened violence to nobody in particular on Facebook just because you're low on sugar. Now if only I could wake up to this everyday....(the biscuits I mean, not Suze).
Eveleigh Markets is the Saturday event du jour, judging by the number of hip, young things that scour the stalls in their vogue sunglasses and some with equally fashionable pooches. The constant parade of adorable four-legged friends are enough to reduce this hardened tomboy to a squealing girly mess - especially if they're of the white, fluffy variety.
Situated alongside dance studio Carriageworks, Eveleigh Markets are on every Saturday, rain, hail or shine for a spot of shopping or just for a light brunch (or in my case, a cupcake and a juice which is about as substantial of an early morning meal as I'm going to get). The markets are also a social beacon for Sydney food bloggers and sure enough, it wasn't long before the three of us bumped into another one of our species.
Eveleigh Markets are quite small comparison to the football field-sized melee that is Paddy's or Parklea Markets but it does do without the manic and pushy atmosphere, which can only be a good thing. At Eveleigh, you can kick back, eat and soak in the day in between spouts of mushroom perusal. Hangover or no hangover, the market is where the good food’s at, and it’s worth waking up early for. Especially for these gems:





All natural ingredients are used for these traditionally homemade goodies. Try their Caramelised Hazelnut Shortbread, Fig and Walnut Biscotti or Chocolate and Hazelnut Biscotti.






For the lovers of vino, there are also a handful of boutique wineries bringing their cellar door to the markets. As soon as I came across Mistletoe Wines with their gleaming array of stickies, all bets were off and present company continued on their food path which left me to acquaint myself with said alcohol.
I realise it was a little early in the day to enjoy a glass but market decorum went down the drain as I flashed a smile and promptly swirled, sniff and swigged through their entire repetoire of wines. Not the smartest of moves on an empty stomach! Especially when I came across more boutique wineries!
















Sound the choir because there they are: The Biscuit Tree's pretty maidens all in a row and by god those shortbread and biscotti look more delicious than ever. They sell for $8 each or 3 for $22 but I limited myself to seven bags - Chocolate chip and Ginger shortbreads and Date and Walnut Biscotti. I had to resort to stashing it in the trunk of the car, lest I down half of the supply before lunch was had! My morning was now complete. Worth sacrificing sleep over? Definitely.
Yes this is me - photographed by Here Comes The Food who was strangely enamoured with my packet of Elmo Babywipes. Please don't judge a girl by her Sesame Street toiletries I beg you.
Eveleigh Farmers' Markets are on every Saturday 8am-1pm
Transport Info (from their website)
Walking
The market entrance is at 243 Wilson Street, Darlington, near the corner of Codrington Street. The entrance has a disabled ramp for wheelchairs and prams.
Bicycle
Enter from vehicle entry at 229 Wilson Street. There are bike racks along the shareway between Carriage Works and Eveleigh Market.
Train
Eveleigh Markets are located within 500 metres of Redfern Station – as you leave the railway station turn left into Little Eveleigh Street which joins Wilson Street. Macdonaldtown Station is 200 metres from the market site. The Shuttle bus drops off at Redfern Station.
Car
Car Parking is available at:
• Shepherd Street Car Park, behind Seymour Centre, Chippendale
• Locomotive Street, Australian Technology Park, Eveleigh
Eveleigh Market runs a free continuous shuttle bus service from Locomotive Street, Australian Technology Park, and Shepherd Street car parks from 7.45am to 1.15pm on Saturday Farmers' Market only.
Shuttle Bus Stops
• Locomotive Street, Australian Technology Park, Eveleigh
• Corner of Lawson Street and Little Eveleigh Street, Redfern (adjacent to Redfern Station)
• Shepherd Street, Chippendale (opposite car park)
• Eveleigh Market, western end of building
View Larger Map

























i'm still getting over your biscotti addiction... it seemed so innocent over the internet (but in real life? insane!)
twas good to see you again :)
wow love the piccies girl!!
i have set a date to go to the eveligh markets next mth i cant wait :)
The apples look so delicious but "Market Essential #2 - an utterly gorgeous four-legged companion" was so cute! I bet everyone would be leaving treats. :)
A comprehensive visual tour of the markets :) I find the woven basket and pooch accessory ratio is significantly higher at Pyrmont Markets. Shame there's no seating at Eveleigh. A shame as it would encourage people to linger and shop/buy more.
You took so many photos, and they’re all fantastic (love the one of you, even though it was taken by FFichiban). And I really have to go to Eveleigh soon, just to see all the cute doggies...
AHhh good timmmmesss ^^! and wow u got heaps that I missed out! That's why going out in a gang is so much better hee hee XD
Looks like it was worth getting up for. I can't believe you bought so many biscotti!
you and your biscotti hehe have you finished them already?
I love my local farmer's market... and you're right.. they are popping up everywhere. I love the variety and the freshness of the product, you can't beat it when living in a big city.
Hi Shez - I didn't realise the full extent of my addiction myself until I laid my purchases all together in one spot!
Hi Babydoll - thanks so much. Enjoy the markets :)
Hi SK - oh she was...I wanted to take it home!
Hi Helen - Good point. I think Eveleigh Markets would make a great place for some market brunch and shopping!
Hi Belle - oh thanks Belle! Yeah the doggies were a definite highlight :)
Hi FFichiban - that's right and we must do it again!
Hi Arwen - umm my boy couldn't believe it either but he had no trouble helping me eat it all!
Hi chocolatesuze - at time of writing...of course!
Hi SoCal Pastry Chef - they're def worth getting up for. It beats normal grocery shopping anyday!
Post a Comment