A thousand apologies dear friends. I post and post and then suddenly I seem to disappear off the face of the earth! In this case, it was Melbourne I retreated to for 6 days of R & R. The weather was miserable and cold but the food fabulous. Of course there was a certain event to contend with called Taste of Melbourne...
In the end, I got sick from chocolate cafe overload, The Captain got even sicker after eating greasy fries and a dodgy looking aioli from a certain late night establishment (we're talking projectile vomiting, poor boy) and then of course, I returned to Sydney with the sniffles and a fever myself.
Exactly why I love Melbourne - pokey laneway gems and cafes
Despite all that, I feasted on the best Spanish tapas that I ever had in Australia, fell in love with Melbourne's alleys and laneways all over again, became a chef stalker at Taste of Melbourne, revisited my favourite Japanese laneway eatery for katsudon (kind of like going home to my Japanese foster parents for a meal) and probably enjoyed travelling on the Melbourne trams a little more than a normal person.
A soup bar on Centre Place, Melbourne - I wish I had this in Sydney while I was sick!
But of course, I missed you all - your comments, our Twitter conversations, the blog and my kitchen! So now that's over, normal transmission should resume shortly - cooking, baking, posts on Melbourne eats and more!
I miss having a holiday, but it's good to be home where it's warm and sunny...
{Degraves Street} Nobody does cafes and coffee quite like Melbourne... except maybe Paris!
Centre Place, Melbourne






























Omg. I love all the laneways in Melb, I can't wait to go next year :) I'll have to consult you for tips! Aww.. hope you and the boy are feeling better now. Nothing that some good home-cooking can't cure ;)
I love when people blog about Melbourne from a touristy point of view.
Gorgeous pictures too, shame you both got ill though =( Hope you are on the mend!
x
I love that soup bar. Everywhere should have a soup bar.
Hate getting ill on trips. Glad yr both better now.
omg, I am screaming out for these laneway cafe's in Sydney. When will it happen ????
I'm with Iron Chef Shellie and loving reading abt Melbourne from a visitor's perspective!
It sucks to be sick on a holiday, but hope you are both much better now!
Sydney will never be like Melbourne, we can try to replicate the bar & cafe scene but it will always play second fiddle to the original. Just as Melbourne will never be like Sydney I guess, great food, lovely cafes - shame the weather is a bore. Great reason to travel like you did to get a taste of it all then come back to sunny warm Sydney (except on a day like today I guess!)
Wooww sounds and looks like you had a blast! Can't wait to hear moree
Ohh it's been so long since I've been in Melbourne.. I really wanna go now after reading your post!
Having said that, Sydney's pretty cool too!
Nice blog, keep up the great work!
:)
I was also in Melbourne from wed-fri and did go to MoVida but had the opposite experience. I found the service terrible and the food nothing special. I highly recommend going to Bar Lourinha next time. I think although it isn't about "the big name" it is 20x better, has a cuter atmosphere and the food is just so impressive, it would have been one of my favourite meals last time.
Was that certain 'late night establishment' none other than Lord of the Fries???? not so nice is it, but does need to be tried at least once.
I actually had a few not so good experiences this time, including waiting 1hr 20mins for mains at Guillaume Bistro, but to balance it out, had the best brunch at Cumulus (just a shame I couldn't get a booking at Cutler & Co.)
Oh, I love these photos & your write up of Melbourne, I want to visit even more now! So quaint. I hope you are feeling better ....
Can't wait to see what more on Melbourne you have in store...
Welcome back! What bad luck, getting sick from aioli of all things. Hope you two are feeling much better!
Hi Betty - I can't wait to go next year too! Haha when I came back it took so long to get back into home cooking! Luckily there's always the Mother to accommodate!
Hi Iron Chef Shellie - agreed. It's always interesting to hear opinions from non-residents. Thanks so much xx
Hi aptronym - too bad I didn't try it but def next time!
Hi Howard - sigh with our luck... prob never :(
Hi Rilsta - we certainly are, thank you xx
Hi Forager - couldn't agree more. It's more than slapping a bar on some back alley. It's a combination of the trams, the vibe of the city and the food that makes Melbourne special. At least Sydney has the weather and beaches to make up for it!
Hi FFichiban - hehe it was... when the boy wasn't sick :(
Hi Ladybird - aww thank you so much!
Hi Trish - oh no so sorry to hear about your MoVida experience! Perhaps it was only a one-off? Thanks for the tip - will have to check out that place next time!
And yes it was LOTF... never again!
Hi Chez US - thank so much lovelies! And yes, come over!
Hi Simon - yep...once I get off my ass and start writing! The peril of going on a holiday... coming back!
Hi Y - thanks sweetie! No more aioli for us for the time being!
Post a Comment