2

My blog has moved!

3

You should be automatically redirected in 4 seconds. If not, visit
http://citrusandcandy.com
and update your bookmarks.

4

You Are Reading

Travel back in time...if only for a night...


I realised after my recent birthday that you really start to get nostalgic as you get older and you start to reminisce about your youth. Recently I travelled back in time for a childhood themed gathering - complete with board games (remember those?), party favours and a Rubiks Cube inspired fancy dress. Very daggy but an immensely fun night. And let's face it, with the world putting on a serious face these days, it's good therapy to let go and bring out the dag!

Of course my excitement hit its peak when I saw the menu for the night! A myriad of retro-inspired finger food, chocolate fondue with fruits and marshmallows, crackers and dips, technicolour jello shots, a fairy floss machine and a special mention for the bowl of Tiny Teddies that I attacked in one fell swoop! It was so symbolic of everything I loved about my younger years.

Rubiks inspired jello shots (alcohol laced of course!)

I guess there is some truth to that phrase "oldies but goodies". These finger foods definitely brought out a little nostalgia in me and I was devouring them by the plateful. Yep it's good to travel back in time every once in a while...I highly recommend it.

Thank you Chefs D and J for filling my stomach and bringing a bit of child-like fun for the weekend.

So what did I plate up?...



Left: Cucumber checkerboard sandwiches with a mint and chive cream cheese filling.
Right: Avocado and Brie with a sundried tomato mayonnaise on a basil and cinnamon bread.


Mango and mint rice paper rolls


Inari pockets (fried tofu skins) with honey soy mushrooms and seaweed; Avocado sushi


Doesn't this salad just scream 70s?


Devilled eggs - the pinnacle of kitsch finger food!


Cucumber bites with coconut rice


Sundried tomato, Camembert and basil on linseed crackers


Avocado "bruschetta"; Prosciutto and rockmelon


Mini Berry Pavlovas


My childhood fave: Chocolate dipped strawberries


Mr B's colourful marbled cinnamon cake. I swooned over the colours and
swooned even harder when I took a bite!






Comments for this entry

Anonymous

What a fun idea! The food looks amazing.

Simon Leong

hehe looked like great fun for the eyes and tastebuds.

simon :-)

Anonymous

Hee hee awesommmeee! Old school style is the best ;) I love Rubik's XD

Anonymous

Happy Birthday Karen! :D Everything looks fabulous and how cute are those cucumber sandwiches?

Helen (Grab Your Fork)

Yep food is the best way to relive your childhood! I remember when Tiny Teddies were all the rage - there'd always be a box at any party or picnic! Happy belated birthday :)

Miss Honey

Happy Birthday!!! Love the choccie strawberries:)

Karen | Citrus and Candy

Hi The Eclectic Connoisseur: My thoughts exactly when I got the invite!

Hi Simon: It was great fun and a large array of finger food is just pure eye candy :)

Hi FFichiban: Hehe it was gloriously old-school but that was the fun of it!

Hi Lorraine: Thanks for your wishes and yeah, those little sandwiches were too adorable :)

Hi Helen: I think I'll forever adore Tiny Teddies :) Thanks for your b'day greeting!

Hi Miss Honey: Thanks sweetie. You really can't go wrong with the strawberry/chocolate combo!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

RSS Feed. This blog is proudly powered by Blogger and uses Modern Clix, a theme by Rodrigo Galindez. Modern Clix blogger template by Introblogger.