
His 'fat' years (to be blunt) was due to his notorious over-indulgence with all things fatty and excessive with his most famous dish being his fried peanut butter and banana sandwich. Apparently he gorged on these by the bucket loads which probably made way for the 70s fat suit.
The recipe can be found in all his cookbooks such as Are You Hungry Tonight? and Fit For A King: The Elvis Presley Cookbook (this one is a fave on my shelf). Even Nigella found it fit to include in Nigella Bites (under the Trashy chapter...naturally).
Ok bear with me here - it sounds revolting - I couldn't agree more. But trust me...it's good. The warm banana mash and the gooey peanut butter with a crispy, buttery bread? It just works.
It wasn't until my high school years that I discovered the sinful joy of it all. So much so that I virtually ate it everyday after school. It was only when I upped a dress size and suffered flashes of myself in a Elvis fat suit that I stopped.
I only allow myself one sandwich every so often and I recommend you do the same...if you can! Today it was part of my emergency study kit because there's nothing like the most trashbag of foods to alleviate an exam headache.
Elvis Presley's Fried Peanut Butter and Banana Sandwich

Ingredients

Ok bear with me here - it sounds revolting - I couldn't agree more. But trust me...it's good. The warm banana mash and the gooey peanut butter with a crispy, buttery bread? It just works.
It wasn't until my high school years that I discovered the sinful joy of it all. So much so that I virtually ate it everyday after school. It was only when I upped a dress size and suffered flashes of myself in a Elvis fat suit that I stopped.
I only allow myself one sandwich every so often and I recommend you do the same...if you can! Today it was part of my emergency study kit because there's nothing like the most trashbag of foods to alleviate an exam headache.
Elvis Presley's Fried Peanut Butter and Banana Sandwich

Ingredients
smooth peanut butter (not extra smooth otherwise it'll get too runny)
1 small ripe banana
2 thick slices of white bread (plastic supermarket loaves works best)
butter
Method
Toast your bread slices until golden
Peel and mash your banana with a fork. I like it just about mashed with a few small chunky bits of banana.
After the toast is done spread one side of each with butter. Flip it over and spread a thick wadge of peanut butter inside the sandwich.
Spoon the banana mash on top of the peanut butter and sandwich together.
1 small ripe banana
2 thick slices of white bread (plastic supermarket loaves works best)
butter
Method
Toast your bread slices until golden
Peel and mash your banana with a fork. I like it just about mashed with a few small chunky bits of banana.
After the toast is done spread one side of each with butter. Flip it over and spread a thick wadge of peanut butter inside the sandwich.
Spoon the banana mash on top of the peanut butter and sandwich together.
Heat up a fry pan over medium heat and add a small, extra knob of butter and swirl it around the pan. If you're using a non-stick pan then this is not necessary but we're way past the health threshold anyway.
Place sandwich on the pan and fry for just under a minute then flip and do the same to the other side. The sandwich should be golden and crispy.
Place sandwich on the pan and fry for just under a minute then flip and do the same to the other side. The sandwich should be golden and crispy.
Cut it in half diagonally and enjoy.
*I can't say whether this is as authentic as you can get to the King but think of this recipe as a tribute*


























Wow. I sometimes have peanut butter and banana sandwiches but this is obviously on a whole new level lol.
i eat peanut butter and banana sandwiches quite often. i've never thought of grilling it before-but wow, that sounds fabulous! knowing me, i'd take it even further and throw some nutella in there for good measure ;)
i think you could experiment with combining with pancakes to make a dessert and drizzle with maple syrup and sprinkle with icing sugar.
s :-)
This is awesome!
I sometimes have this for brekky ; toast, banana, peanut butter. Very similar , minus the fry pan bit which is heart attack material but I'm sure tastes better.
OOoh I've made this too urged on by Nigella Bites (one of my favourite books of hers-LOVE the Trashy chapter!). I added bacon though-I figured if I was going to work my way towards a heart attack, that would probably be the quickest way!
Yummm you guys should try it with Nutella as well ;) It is on a whole new level of sugaryness ^^!
Oh really good to meet you today btw ^^! sorry for double post haha
Miss Honey - Go ahead, fry it - an extra few thousand calories won't hurt :)
Megan - It's time to take that extra step - butter fried and of course nutella. What's there to stop you? (except an imminent heart attack!)
Simon - thinking about your suggestion is making my heart palpitate!
Howard - hehe everything tastes better fried in butter!
Lorraine - have to agree - Nigella Bites is def my fave DVD and book. Trashy of course was the episode/chapter! I think it was the ham in coca-cola that did it for me!
FFichiban - wow nutella seems to be the most voted for addition to this heart attack of a sandwich! I might have to try it out now and post about it!
Oh and no worries about the double post :) It was great to finally meet you today too (after passing each other at the Good Food Affare!).
And that goes out to all my fellow Zumbo bloggers - how great was it to finally come together and get sugar whacked! Hope we do it again soon!
Oooh, I've never thought of frying it like that. Yum!
Hi gaga: You must try it soon because butter makes all the difference....just don't try it too often :)
I have 2 children getting married in 2009, so I will have to avoid these...well until after the weddings, they sound scrummy!
Post a Comment