2

My blog has moved!

3

You should be automatically redirected in 4 seconds. If not, visit
http://citrusandcandy.com
and update your bookmarks.

4

You Are Reading

Sweet Chilli Chicken 'Pizzas'




I love home-made pizzas but I'm hopeless at making pizza dough. Utterly hopeless. I'm definitely no NQN or Spicy Icecream!

Store bought pizza bases are too thick and dry and 'bread-y' (not the most eloquent of terms but you know what I mean), which isn't good for those who are more inclined to 'thin and crispy' over 'pan-fried'.

Thanks to a friend I found an alternative - Egyptian white bread - a cross between a pita and tortilla (although these work equally well). They're beautiful when baked with a myriad of pizza toppings (chorizo, potato, manchego cheese and paprika is of course my fave!). It tastes like a thin and crispy woodfire pizza base and nothing beats a big crunch when I'm stuffing myself with pizza. Yum!

The topping I'm using was inspired by a 'Thai' pizza I had at
GPK in Castle Towers, which was about as culturally authentic as an 'Italian' hawaiian pizza. Still, I love anything with sweet chilli sauce so away we go!




Thai Chicken 'Pizzas' (makes about 6 small pizzas)

Ingredients

one packet of Egyptian white bread (available at Coles) or similar with a 12-15cm diameter.
2 large chicken breast fillets - diced into small pieces
baby spinach
5 small coliban potatoes - peeled and diced into small cubes
tomato relish or any other pizza sauce
sour cream (optional)

Marinade

1 clove crushed garlic
1/2 tsp fish sauce
1/2 thai seasoning sauce (or light soya sauce)
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp chilli powder (or paprika for less heat)
2 TBL sweet chilli sauce
juice of half a lime




Method

Mix all the marinade ingredients, add chicken and marinate for 30 minutes to an hour. You can also add some chopped fresh coriander to the marinade if you wish.

Pre-cook the potato cubes by placing in a baking tray, add about 1-2 TBL of olive oil and a few pinches of sea salt.

Smoosh the potatoes in the baking tray until it's all coated and place in a hot 200°C oven and roast until the potatoes take on some colour. Take it out of the oven and set aside.

In a pan, heat up some oil and add chicken and fry for 5 minutes or until mostly cooked. Add potatoes and as much baby spinach as you like and fry for another few minutes until spinach has wilted.




Spoon some pizza sauce, tomato relish or sweet chilli sauce on each slice of Egyptian white bread. Top with the chicken mix and some fresh baby spinach leaves (with stems removed).

Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the pizza base is crispy.

Drizzle with extra sweet chilli sauce and dollops of sour cream (if you wish).



Comments for this entry

Anonymous

Yum these look sooo good. I love anything with sweet chilli sauce too!

Anonymous

Interesting use of Egyptian white bread! I usually use Lebanese bread but it's often a two-step process where I have to grill it to make it hard and crispy before I can put the toppings on, otherwise all the toppings just concave in because the base is so thin.

Lovely recipe!

Anonymous

That looks so good! Like Howard I've made them using Lebanese bread and it's nice but I'd be really interested in trying these with the Egyptian bread! :)

Karen | Citrus and Candy

Hi Howard and Lorraine!

Try the Egyptian bread. I guarantee no pre-grilling required! I tried it because it's not too thick but not as thin as Lebanese bread or pita. Makes me want to go crazy with pizzas and toppings now!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

RSS Feed. This blog is proudly powered by Blogger and uses Modern Clix, a theme by Rodrigo Galindez. Modern Clix blogger template by Introblogger.