Archibald Fountain, Hyde Park
October is a good time for us gluttons with the Sydney Morning Herald Good Food Month a definite highlight for foodies….
…unless you’re absent for the entire month!
For the first time in a while I’ve been devoid of the weeknight Noodle Markets, Norton Street Festival, $35 lunches in some of Sydney top restaurants and the 9pm dessert marathons in selected hotels in Sydney. A girl without her beloved Sugar Hits is an unhappy girl indeed!
Fortunately I’ve at least managed to make it back for the closing ceremony of Good Food Month – the Food and Wine Fair in Hyde Park – all for the benefit of the AIDS Trust Australia. Grey skies threatened to rain on my culinary parade but luckily it stayed away long enough for me to fulfil my philanthropic (and very hungry) needs without a side of rainwater.
…unless you’re absent for the entire month!
For the first time in a while I’ve been devoid of the weeknight Noodle Markets, Norton Street Festival, $35 lunches in some of Sydney top restaurants and the 9pm dessert marathons in selected hotels in Sydney. A girl without her beloved Sugar Hits is an unhappy girl indeed!
Fortunately I’ve at least managed to make it back for the closing ceremony of Good Food Month – the Food and Wine Fair in Hyde Park – all for the benefit of the AIDS Trust Australia. Grey skies threatened to rain on my culinary parade but luckily it stayed away long enough for me to fulfil my philanthropic (and very hungry) needs without a side of rainwater.

As usual the crowds were heavy but the chill in the air kept us cool and comfortable. A quick tour of foodie offerings enabled us to plan our mode of attack. All with a glass of Brown Brothers Moscato Rosé in tow of course!
Not a lot of main courses ($12) but plenty of entrées and desserts on hand ($9 each). Some of Sydney’s finest were out parading their gastronomic offerings such as Guillaume at Bennelong, Icebergs, The Tea Room, Longrain, Otto and Wildfire etc.
Plenty for the winos too with Brown Brothers, Richmond Grove, Pepper Tree Wines and Wyndham Estate amongst the more familiar vineyards to have set up shop.
Not a lot of main courses ($12) but plenty of entrées and desserts on hand ($9 each). Some of Sydney’s finest were out parading their gastronomic offerings such as Guillaume at Bennelong, Icebergs, The Tea Room, Longrain, Otto and Wildfire etc.
Plenty for the winos too with Brown Brothers, Richmond Grove, Pepper Tree Wines and Wyndham Estate amongst the more familiar vineyards to have set up shop.
In the end I settled for the High Tea Platter from The Tea Room and Bill Granger’s Lime Tart with Passionfruit Sauce.


High Tea - Tuna finger sandwich, Orange and Almond Slice,
Chocolate Negress, Leek and Gorgonzola Tart,
Lemon Meringue Barquette, Viennese Biscuit with Coffee Buttercream
- From The Tea Room
The Lime Tart was to die for. Even though the lime filling was virtually indistinguishable against the hard-hitting sourness of the passionfruit sauce. But it was a joy to counteract the tartness with the sugary pastry and the cool, refreshing taste of the King Island cream.

Bill Granger's Lime Tart with Passionfruit Sauce
My partner in crime partook in The Battle of the Bolognese – two spaghettis served together from Luca Ciano (of Barilla Australia) and Ruben Martinez (of La Sala Restaurant) in a bid for the better Bolognese sauce. Frankly I thought both were too salty but in terms of overall flavour, Luca Ciano wins it out.

Left: Spaghetti Bolognese from Luca Ciano. Right: Ruben Martinez's version from La Sala
For dessert Mr S. couldn’t resist the Glazed Strawberry Frangipane tart with Vanilla Marscapone from Cafe Sydney. Not a fan of Frangipane tarts personally but combined with the glazed strawberries (tasted like jam) and the subtle sweetness of the marscapone – it was good! And worth the long drive to the CBD!

Cafe Sydney desserts

Glazed Strawberry Frangipane Tart with Vanilla Marscapone from Cafe Sydney
Until then, I leave you with more photos of Sydney's culinary delights to whet your appetite. Hope to see you there next year!

Noodle Salad with Thai Basil, Chilli and Sweet Vinegar from Longrain

Vanilla Bean Macaron from Guillaume at Bennelong

Grilled and Lightly Smoked Trout with citrus salsa and baby herbs from Bécasse
SMH GFM Food and Wine Fair
1st November 2008
Sydney Hyde Park



























I wish I had gone! All of that delicious food in one spot. Alas I was slightly scarred from last year's venture and the horrendous queues but I think the cooler weather made for less crowds. The QVB's tea rooms plate is always fantastic value and full of delectable morsels. The two Spaghetti Bologneses look quite different! Did you try a Guillame Macaron?
Hi Lorraine!
The crowds were there but wasn't as bad as previous years (I know what you mean by being scarred too!). But you're right - the weather def had something to do with it!
It's too bad you didn't go still. It's always nice to enjoy food and wine outdoors. But there's always next year! :)
I really wanted to try a Guillaume Macaroon but I had reached my limit! Which was why I needed a bigger stomach!
I was there too, it was a great day! I'm so glad to have found your blog, its great :)
Ooh the battle of the bologneses.. I would've loved to try that!
Hi Lisa, I wonder if I ever walked by you that day? Hehe one thing I don't like about food festivals is that my stomach isn't big enough to try everything! :)
Hi Y - I wish there were more 'competitors' in the battle therefore more variety :)
A bit of a late post here, but only just stumbled across your blog, loving it so far!
I was there as well. The crowds weren't too bad at first, but it started to build up later. How divine was the Lime tart!? yum!
Hi missklicious - totally agree! The Lime tart was to die for! But then again so is any dessert with lime :) Thanks for your comments - hope to see you again! Loving the nickname too!
Post a Comment